Table of Contents
Foreword by Nathan Barry
I My Story
- Humble Beginnings
- Learning Node.js
- Mastering a Niche
- Going Traditional
- Why Write Books
- Why Write a Programming Book
- Traditional vs. Self-Publishing
- The Time Spent Writing
- The ProgWriter Creative Process
- Researching The Topic
- Technical Book Categories
- Testing Your Topics
- Writing The Manuscript
- Markdown for The Win
- Structuring The Book Properly
- Summarizing Chicago vs. AP Styles
- My Style: Paragraphs, Lists, Asides
- Dealing with Source Code and Figures
- Editing, Design and Finding Help
- Spread The Word
- Have a Platform
- Marketplace vs. Storefront
- How to Improve Amazon Sales
- Packaging and Bundling
- Up-selling and Cross-selling
- Things to Avoid
- Should I have a dedicated website?
- Should I prepare a launch plan for my book?
- How to market to other developers (some of them who think everything should be free)?
- What tools/programs do people use to write a technical book?
- How do you go about the editing and
proof-reading? Do you have a technical editor and a normal editor?
- Any tips on topics or ideas to write about?
- How to structure the book?
- How much to write each day?
- Any techniques on list building, beyond just blogging?
- Should I create webinars?
- What do you use to publish a book on
VII Successful ProgWriter Survey
Appendix A: Absolutely Bare Minimum Markdown Cheatsheet
Appendix C: Tools and Services
Appendix C: Traditional Publishers
Appendix D: International Publishers